Residential OptionsConneXions has residential options to suit the diverse but individual needs of adults with an intellectual disability. Whether serving independent residents or those who require more care, all of our residential programs encourage community inclusion. Participants need a referral from the North Shore Office of Community Living BC (CLBC) in order to access a residential program.
Group HomesConneXions provides full time care for more than 45 individuals. Each residence has a trained staff team that supports the individuals living there. Support varies according to the needs of the individual and may include personal care, training in daily living activities and behavioural support. An average of four residents live in each home and the homes all reflect the needs of individual residents. The homes are also a real part of the community.
Home SharingHome Sharing is an individualized, long-term living arrangement in which one or two adults share their lives with a care giver who provides holistic support. The home may take several forms, ranging from a basement suite with basic cooking and laundry facilities, to a bedroom in fully accessible home which has adaptive equipment as needed. ConneXions selects potential caregivers through interviews, references, relevant experience, requirements such as first aid, and a suitability assessment of the home. Typically, individuals who do best in home sharing are those who are able to self-report concerns to the program manager and are able to independently evacuate the residence in case of an emergency. The support from the caregiver may include provision of/or assistance with the following:
- Personal care
- Meal preparation
- Shopping for groceries, clothing and personal needs
- Medication ordering and management
- General household duties such as laundry and cleaning
- Managing the individual’s finances
- Managing the individual’s health care needs
- Facilitation of recreation activities and community resources
- Maintaining and building on personal relationships with family and friends
- Helping the individual to achieve the goals from their Person Centred Plan